I. The space you occupy and the space you occupy.
Staying in my father's place in Miami. Rowan and I are sleeping in my father's wife's granddaughter's room. It looks as through the decorators couldn't decide between a princess theme and a fairy theme, so they split the difference. It is very, very, ..., so very pink. With faries. And princesses.
II. Leadership, trust, responsibilty. sanity optional.
This morning, I was granted command of a house filled with three people under the age of five. I guaranteed at least two of the four house occupants would be living by the time the other adults returned. Maybe three, if things broke my way. This was deemed sufficient for command to be granted.
III. Gender, or, It All Starts with Kindness and Consideration
My not quite two year old son spends today playing with two girls at least two years his senior. Two year olds and four year olds are very different beasts. At first, one is offering soft, fluffy toys that might help him nap.
IV. Gender, or, No Means No.
Later that morning, one girl is burried under some pillows, and R is doing what he always does when people and deep pillows are involved -- repeated tackling. The recipient of such attention asks me 'why is he doing this, why doesn't he stop?' while screaming 'stop' with delight. The other girl is standing incensed, hands on hips, demanding 'it's my turn.'
V. Gender, or, you have no idea.
I hear R crying from the next room. I find R picking himself up from the ground, as though he had just fallen -- not that big a deal. Girl one promptly says 'he hit me.' Girl two then 'he hit me, too.' 'he hit me hard' 'he hit me harder.' R is so far in over his head, he simply has no idea.
VI. Culture and Consumerism
After waiting in line for a short forever at a mall, we finally get to the front of the picture with santa line. It's an upscale mall -- looks like they sprung for a santa with a real beard. The three children are marched forward, and R promptly starts bawling on contact with Santa Claus. As I carry him away, I am secretly proud.
VII.
the pink faries watch us, languid eyes
lazily frozen, printed, set. we can't
amuse them. they have seen all this
before.
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment