Guys I am working on some poems. I will be posting them one by one. They're all conceptual so I need to post some background.
So China has sucked for women for hundreds of years, and they didn't even let them have no book learning until the last few decades. Anyway in at least one place (possibly others) the women developed this special written language, "nushu" or women's writing, for sending each other gossip and whatever else women talk about (shopping and make-up tips?). They used it secretly for the most part. Apparently the last woman literate in the Southern Hunan nushu just died (in 2004).
Here is some general information. If you have access to Harper's Online, find the article called "Whores Whisperer" which is an awesome translation of one nushu letter.
So my things are imaginary translations of nonexistent letters and things in this nushu script. I hope you enjoy them.
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment