Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Haiku contest. For reals.

No, really, for Japan's national newspaper, Mainichi (perhaps the equivalent of USA Today), there is a haiku contest.

There are 3 categories. Category 3 is for haiku in English or French. There are no monetary prizes for Category 3, but there will be certificates awarded.

Two haiku can be submitted per entrant, deadline is August.

I think we can take this fucker down.

5 comments:

Thi N said...

Notice how extraordinarily shitty the winners of the previous contests are:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/culture/wa/etc/haiku/archive/2008/selection2007.html

Thi N said...

I am reminded of a favorite Issa haiku, submitted after he was solicited for an entry into a contest on "haiku on the new snow":

Writing shit about snow
for the rich
is not art

Thi N said...

Also his poem submitted for a contest on "best patriotic poem":

These sea slugs -
they just aren't
Japanese.

K said...

hahaha ~ that is a best patriotic poem!

puff said...

omg, that is so funny. Sorry I'm so late. Is it too late??