Thursday, May 15, 2008

approximations of wisdom

So, an acquaintance, out of the blue, asks to go out for a scotch sometime. We schedule, we cancel, we reschedule. I figure something is up. First thought is he's getting divorced. Next thought is that maybe they're just considering daycare for their child. I can say something about that.

Turns out my first instinct was correct. We spend awhile talking about asphyxiation of being stuck in a bad marriage, the joy of release, the cautious hope in aftermath, what non-custodial parenting looks like, what the divorce process looks like, what is lost, what is gained.

We leave the bar and go our separate ways -- shortly thereafter, I turn and shout his name. He turns and stops. I shout 'this too shall pass'.

He laughs.
He has no idea.

3 comments:

puff said...

Why is he getting divorced? What advice can you give about marriage now that you've been through it.

David said...

Um, I think I can provide counterexamples...

Thi N said...

I challenge you to put those counterexamples in haiku form.