Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Horizon

Before today, Nathaniel planned in years.
In four his Ph.D.; a wife in six,
And then, his tenure topped his dreams and fears.
(For later gain, for now he takes his licks.)
His doctor looks at him. And then the floor.
"How long?" "It's hard to say--" "Well try."
"It's months. Perhaps 2 years. But hardly more."
"I'll fight; I'll learn--" "It's not like that." A sigh.
"OK. I'll take what time I have to see the world.
And make some languished friendships once more new.
The perfect chance to spend my money squirrelled
away! Well thank you, Doc, you've changed my view."
And as he walked out of the hospital
he was hit by a bus and died.

4 comments:

puff said...

haha. I love it!

Thi N said...

"(For later gain, for now he takes his licks.)"

This feels like the classic Bentley meter. Do you fuck in this rhythm, too?

Bentley said...

There's only one way to find out, Thi.

Thi N said...

You mean you're finally going to give me the phone number of your fine-titted girlfriend?